Re: draft agenda, DPUB IG concall 20140609 15UTC

On Sun, 2014-06-08 at 21:15 +0200, Markus Gylling wrote:

I'm sorry I can't make the call this week (dental appointment; Mondays
happen to have had conflicts for a while).

Some notes on renaming in the hope that it's of use:

> Layout and Styling -> Aesthetics/Ergonomy: Layout and styling has the goal
> of improving the aesthetics of the visual presentation of the material. But
> in addition, much of what publishers consider as aesthetics (like widow
> control) is rooted in ergonomic issues, ie, to make the reading experience
> as easy as possible.
"Document UX" might be the Web version of this? I was really pleased to
see the level of attention the document got at the recent CSS F2F, and
part of that is because of the prominence of "Layout and Styling", so
overall I'l be happy to keep the current name.

> Metadata -> Discovery: Encouraging more professionally-published content
> (starting with books) to be on the open web, even at the metadata level, is
> an important hedge against a monoculture, and a critical way for publishers
> to stay relevant.
>
> Content & Markup -> Semantics: This is a loaded term; alternatives would be
> welcome.
I really don't like the term Semantics if content markup is not
included, because that carries semantics too, and a big problem in book
publishing (as I see it) today is the "closed book" model.

Of course, Cataloguing would sound like we're competing with OCLC, BL,
LoC etc., which isn't really the case (there's some overlap with the
beyond FRBR work at LoC though).

Maybe "Description Formats" if we don't like Metadata?

> Annotation -> No change
>
> Accessibility -> No change
>
> STEM -> Discussion welcome as this was re-started recently.

The "E" in STEM seems to be present or not present depending on who you
ask; I suspect this is because journals and documents targeted at
educators are often handled by a different division in large publishers,
and the ST and M already include A for Academic.