Re: Ebook requirements for Ruby markup

[Moving the discussion to the right list]

On 05/09/2013 17:55 , Bill McCoy wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response, I made email introductions separately for
> you to the Taiwan folks who had previously pinged me about it.

Thanks a lot, I will follow up on this.

> Re: use of Ruby presently in eBooks, the Japanese publishing industry
> has developed a profile of EPUB 3 that in my understanding is
> significantly adopted already there for both reflowable and fixed-layout
> content. It references Ruby in some detai. As the profile as a whole is
> EPUB 3 compatible and EPUB 3 normatively references HTML5 that would
> imply this usage is XHTML5-based.

Indeed, it is XHTML5 based. What is unclear from this document is
whether it supports all of what is currently in the HTML5 draft or just
a subset (only a subset is discussed, but it is unclear whether that
entail that only that subset is supported, or whether it just reflects
what was worth discussing).

It would be most useful to be able to comb through a representative
corpus. I've emailed EBPAJ to ask if they can assist.

> But Ruby also in my understanding has
> styling-related aspects (see:
> http://www.idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-contentdocs.html#sec-css-ruby-position
> ) so I think this involves CSS spec(s) as well as HTML5 spec, perhaps.

Indeed, and the CSS Ruby spec is being worked on in parallel:

     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby/

It needs to align with what is done in HTML. We're working together with
fantasai to make sure that's the case.