W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > April 2017

Draft minutes 6 April 2017

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 11:11:26 -0400
Message-Id: <97B2C04C-343A-4642-9E38-3E45EC8A74C7@fjhirsch.com>
To: W3C Devices and Sensors WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today's DAS teleconference; actions and resolutions at end. Thanks Dom for scribing.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, W3C Devices and Sensors WG (DAS)


[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device and Sensors Working Group Teleconference

## 06 Apr 2017

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Alexander_Shalamov,
Mikhail_Pozdnyakov, Anssi_Kostiainen

Regrets

    Tobie_Langel

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    dom

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [HTML Media Capture][8]

    4. [Screen Orientation API][9]

    5. [Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer][10]

    6. [Orientation Sensor Spec][11]

    7. [Generic Sensor API][12]

    8. [Battery][13]

    9. [TPAC][14]

  * [Summary of Action Items][15]

  * [Summary of Resolutions][16]

* * *

<scribe> ScribeNick: dom

### Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements

<fjh> GitHub digest: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0000.html][17]

### Minutes approval

<fjh> Approve minutes from 23 March 2017

<fjh> [https://www.w3.org/2017/03/23-dap-minutes.html][18]

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 23 March 2017 are approved

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 23 March 2017 are approved
[https://www.w3.org/2017/03/23-dap-minutes.html][18]**

### HTML Media Capture

FJH: we had a CfC for an updated CR

<fjh> CfC completed successfully - [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public
/public-device-apis/2017Apr/0007.html][19]

Anssi: great progress on test suite too

... with a draft test report

FJH: next step is transition request

<fjh> test update [https://github.com/w3c/html-media-capture/issues/7][20]

Anssi: we'll soon get implementation results

<anssik> implementation report draft: [https://rawgit.com/Honry/test-
results/0826a90542e9ea3ac81a162f1569dc728438e68e/html-media-
capture/20170405.html][21]

FJH: Anssi can you update the document to make it CR ready with updated
changelog

... and once that done, I'll send a transition request

Anssi: will do

<fjh> target date for 20 April

<fjh> provide diff to previous CR, list of changes in Status

Anssi: any change needed to the exit criteria?

<fjh> [https://www.w3.org/TR/html-media-capture/][22]

FJH: the existing one sounds good

... so we just need the changelog with a link to a redline

<fjh> and updated link to implementation report

Dom: how long a CR do we need?

... we'll need a few weeks for getting new reviews from a few groups

FJH: 8 weeks should be fine

Dom: any idea of the timeline for Chrome implementation?

Anssi: we can make it happen quickly

<fjh> dom: want to have review from WebRTC and privacy IG

Anssi: so I'll add diffs, changelog, implementation report, 8 weeks CR period

<fjh> updated publication date to 20 April

<fjh> changes to references should be picked up automatically, don’t know if
any have changed

<anssik> meta issue to track revised CR snapshot creation:
[https://github.com/w3c/html-media-capture/issues/9][23]

FJH: I'd need an updated document before next Tuesday

Dom: I can take care of it if Anssi hasn't the cycles

<scribe> **ACTION:** Dom to prepare HTML Media Capture for updated CR
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action01]][24]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-788 - Prepare html media capture for updated cr [on
Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2017-04-13].

<anssik> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Mar/0022.html][25]

<anssik> changes since: [https://github.com/w3c/html-media-
capture/issues/7#issue-209689606][26]

### Screen Orientation API

<fjh> Review comments [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0002.html][27] (Kenneth)

<anssik> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0001.html][28] (shalamov)

<fjh> dom: would like github issues

Anssi: Alexander, can you bring this to their github repo?

Alexander: will do; how about CSS View?

Anssi: they're also on github

Alexander: will do

Dom: thanks for the review, it was very well done

Anssi: +1

<anssik> screen-orientation GH issues: [https://github.com/w3c/screen-
orientation/issues][29]

Alexander: some are just nits / documentation updates, but some will need to
be addressed

<fjh> dom: please note that these are Devices and Sensor WG review comments

### Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer

<fjh> Status update

<fjh> Accelerometer, [https://w3c.github.io/accelerometer/][30]

<fjh> Gyroscope, [https://w3c.github.io/gyroscope/][31]

<fjh> Magnetometer, [https://w3c.github.io/magnetometer/][32]

FJH: Anssi suggested updated WDs

<fjh> Summary of the most substantial changes:

<fjh> * in general, kept up with the evolving Generic Sensor API

<fjh> * changed to a constructor per low-level sensor type over using
SensorOptions

<fjh> * renamed the interfaces

<fjh> * removed the *SensorReading interfaces to flatten the API surface

<fjh> * removed the reporting mode concept

FJH: and it looks necessary here given the number of changes

<fjh> * added permission name strings

<fjh> The Chromium implementation work has advanced significantly and is now
matching the latest specs.

<fjh> see [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0003.html][33]

<fjh> Proposed RESOLUTION: Publish updated Working Drafts of Accelerometer,
Gyroscope, Magnetometer specifications

<fjh> clearly we should publish updated WDs, probably should use automatic
mechanism

**RESOLUTION: Push updated WDs of Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
specifications**

### Orientation Sensor Spec

<fjh> Orientation Sensor, [https://w3c.github.io/orientation-sensor/][34]

<fjh> charter: [https://www.w3.org/2016/03/device-sensors-wg-
charter.html#deliverables][35]

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: publish FPWD of Orientation Sensor Spec with short
name orientation-sensor

FJH: a FPWD would get the IPR obligations started

Anssi: we have partially implemented it in Chromium

... as an experimental feature behind a flag

<fjh> dom: recall that there were questions whether this should be part of
motion sensor spec, would affect this decision

anssi: that concern hasn't been raised recently

dom: ok; the concern could be re-raised during the CfC in any case

anssi: that sensor spec is optimized for certain use cases (VR, navigation,
games)

... they require high frequency sampling rate

... roadmap for motion sensor spec: not yet

... some of it may land in the generic sensor spec

... not clear that a separate spec is warranted

... I would be OK to publish the explainer as well - not sure what the process
would be

FJH: we can do a fpwd of a note

... there is respec magic for that

anssi: lots of discussions and implementations coming along

... if we have to change our approach, we can shelve / update specs as needed

... but given current state of implementation, pushing this forward would make
sense

dom: my only concern was about the level of consensus on this particular
approach; but a cfc is the perfect way to get this expressed :)

FJH: let's do a 2 weeks CfC on this then - for orientation sensor and the
explainer

<fjh> **ACTION:** fjh to publish CfC for Orientation sensor and Motion Sensors
Explainer [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-
minutes.html#action02]][36]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-789 - Publish cfc for orientation sensor and motion
sensors explainer [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2017-04-13].

### Generic Sensor API

<fjh> awaiting results of actions that Tobie is working on

Anssi: Tobie has something cooking for Issue 22 (permissions API integration)

... it has implications to UI

### Battery

Anssi: there were discussions around battery & fingerprinting, with a long
ensuing discussion

<anssik> [https://github.com/w3c/battery/issues/10][37]

Anssi: we have identified a concrete spec improvement (see issue 10)

... I'll update the spec soon; and the proposed update is already under
implementation

<fjh> dom: will then go back to CR

<anssik> [https://github.com/w3c/battery/issues/5#issuecomment-257617533][38]

Dom: any feedback from Mozilla on this?

Anssi: they think it's a good idea but won't put the API back in

<anssik> [https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status
/batterystatusapi/?q=sort%3AVotes%20edge%3A%27Under%20Consideration%27][39]

FJH: so the implementation question will still be up in our next CR

Anssi: battery is the ~30th most requested feature for Edge too

### TPAC

Dom: should we meet there? it's Nov 6-10 in San Francisco

Anssi: I think it might be useful

FJH: it proved useful last year indeed

... so another one would probably be useful

Anssi: yes, esp. with a meeting in the Silicon Valley

FJH: probably won't able to come myself

Dom: we need to answer the questionnaire before May 14

... I won't be available Mon/Tue during TPAC due to WebRTC

Anssi: good to know - will probably align 2nd screen to that

FJH: so we should plan on Thu/Fri

... I'll send a mail to the list

<fjh> **ACTION:** fjh to send note to group about scheduling DAS F2F at TPAC
for Mon-Tue [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-
minutes.html#action03]][40]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-790 - Send note to group about scheduling das f2f at
tpac for mon-tue [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2017-04-13].

<fjh> **ACTION:** fjh to prepare Transition request for HTML Media Capture to
CR [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action04]][41]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-791 - Prepare transition request for html media
capture to cr [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2017-04-13].

<fjh> **ACTION:** shalamov to enter Screen Orientation issues into github
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action05]][42]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-792 - Enter screen orientation issues into github
[on Alexander Shalamov - due 2017-04-13].

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dom to prepare HTML Media Capture for updated CR
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action01][43]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to prepare Transition request for HTML Media Capture
to CR [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-
minutes.html#action04][44]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to publish CfC for Orientation sensor and Motion
Sensors Explainer [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-
minutes.html#action02][45]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send note to group about scheduling DAS F2F at
TPAC for Mon-Tue [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-
minutes.html#action03][46]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** shalamov to enter Screen Orientation issues into github
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action05][47]]


## Summary of Resolutions

  1. [Minutes from 23 March 2017 are approved https://www.w3.org/2017/03/23
-dap-minutes.html][48]

  2. [Push updated WDs of Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
specifications][49]

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][50] version 1.144 ([CVS
log][51])

$Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34 $

   [1]: https://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0005.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #ActionSummary

   [16]: #ResolutionSummary

   [17]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0000.html

   [18]: https://www.w3.org/2017/03/23-dap-minutes.html

   [19]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0007.html

   [20]: https://github.com/w3c/html-media-capture/issues/7

   [21]: https://rawgit.com/Honry/test-
results/0826a90542e9ea3ac81a162f1569dc728438e68e/html-media-
capture/20170405.html

   [22]: https://www.w3.org/TR/html-media-capture/

   [23]: https://github.com/w3c/html-media-capture/issues/9

   [24]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action01]

   [25]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Mar/0022.html

   [26]: https://github.com/w3c/html-media-capture/issues/7#issue-209689606

   [27]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0002.html

   [28]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0001.html

   [29]: https://github.com/w3c/screen-orientation/issues

   [30]: https://w3c.github.io/accelerometer/

   [31]: https://w3c.github.io/gyroscope/

   [32]: https://w3c.github.io/magnetometer/

   [33]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2017Apr/0003.html

   [34]: https://w3c.github.io/orientation-sensor/

   [35]: https://www.w3.org/2016/03/device-sensors-wg-
charter.html#deliverables

   [36]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action02]

   [37]: https://github.com/w3c/battery/issues/10

   [38]: https://github.com/w3c/battery/issues/5#issuecomment-257617533

   [39]: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status/
batterystatusapi/?q=sort%3AVotes%20edge%3A%27Under%20Consideration%27

   [40]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action03]

   [41]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action04]

   [42]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action05]

   [43]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [44]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action04

   [45]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [46]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [47]: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/06-dap-minutes.html#action05

   [48]: #resolution01

   [49]: #resolution02

   [50]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [51]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



Received on Thursday, 6 April 2017 15:12:08 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:10 UTC