[ambient-light] Permissions for verbose readout of ALS

From: Lukasz Olejnik via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:56:20 +0000
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
lknik has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/ambient-light:

== Permissions for verbose readout of ALS ==
Verbose readout of Ambient Light Sensors might create several issues
from privacy perspective (e.g cross-domain communication, cross-device
 linking, profiling), consider also
http://lukaszolejnik.com/SensorsPrivacyReport.pdf.
In this view we should decide if ASL will be subject to permissions?

An interesting idea is to expose a minimized readout using
MediaQueries terminology
(https://www.w3.org/TR/mediaqueries-4/#light-level) without
permissions, and require them for more verbose readout. This would
make most of the privacy issues much less conceivable.
I already discussed this in private with Tobie.

I believe privacy considerations should be proposed after deciding
this, since this impacts them directly (in my current draft, I propose
 ASL should be subject to permissions).

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/ambient-light/issues/10 using your GitHub
account