W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > August 2016

[minutes] Aug 25 teleconference

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 17:03:06 +0200
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-ID: <0cf4d920-0f68-a00c-afd1-791fd3b93729@w3.org>
Hi,

The minutes of the Device & Sensors Working Group teleconference held on
Aug 25 are available at:
  https://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html

and copied as text below.

Please send corrections to the list.

Dom


            Device and Sensors Working Group Teleconference

25 Aug 2016

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2016Aug/0021.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-irc

Attendees

   Present
          AnssiK, Andrey_Logvinov, Dom

   Regrets
          Frederick

   Chair
          Dom

   Scribe
          dom

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Minutes approval
         2. [6]Battery
         3. [7]Vibration
         4. [8]Sensor
         5. [9]Concrete sensors
         6. [10]WakeLock API
         7. [11]TPAC
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     * [13]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

   <anssik> [14]https://www.w3.org/TR/vibration/ points to REC,
   not PER

     [14] https://www.w3.org/TR/vibration/

Minutes approval

   RESOLUTION: Minutes from 14 July 2016 are approved,

   [15]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/201
   6Jul/0035.html

     [15]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2016Jul/0035.html

Battery

   Anssi: I haven't gotten any concrete feedback that would
   motivate spec changes
   ... there is some freedom for implementors to do things
   differently

   <anssik>
   [16]https://w3c.github.io/battery/#dfn-unable-to-report-the-bat
   tery-status-information

     [16]
https://w3c.github.io/battery/#dfn-unable-to-report-the-battery-status-information

   Anssi: you can be conformant with the spec, given the current
   prose, and address all the arguments I've heard

   Dom: should we get confirmation from Marcos / Domenic about
   their satisfaction?

   Anssi: yes, we should ask for concrete spec changes that would
   satisfy them

   <anssik> [17]https://github.com/w3c/battery/issues/5

     [17] https://github.com/w3c/battery/issues/5

   <scribe> ACTION: Anssi to ping Marcos & Domenic on Battery
   issue #5 [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action01]

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-765 - Ping marcos & domenic on
   battery issue #5 [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2016-09-01].

Vibration

   Dom: v2?

   Anssi: WebVR will need more control on vibration intensity
   ... Vibration is also used by the Notifications API

   [19]https://github.com/w3c/vibration/issues

     [19] https://github.com/w3c/vibration/issues

   dom: chrome is going to block vibration in third-party iframes
   ... cf issue #15

   Anssi: would be good to see if Mozilla is going in that
   direction too
   ... and if so, we should probably align the spec
   ... would that be more for a v2?

   Dom: I think a v2 is useful if we add new features; I wouldn't
   do it "just" for adding this restriction

   anssi: any other spec were that problem arises?

   Dom: Wake Lock restricts its usage to same-origin contexts

   Anssi: this reminds of the permission delegation discussion
   that happened in Chrome

   Dom: right; same issue has arised for getUserMedia

   <anssik>
   [20]https://rawgit.com/noncombatant/permission-delegation-api/g
   h-pages/index.html

     [20]
https://rawgit.com/noncombatant/permission-delegation-api/gh-pages/index.html

   <anssik>
   [21]https://noncombatant.github.io/permission-delegation-api/

     [21] https://noncombatant.github.io/permission-delegation-api/

   <scribe> ACTION: Anssi to check for new requirements on
   vibration from Gamepad/VR [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action02]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-766 - Check for new requirements on
   vibration from gamepad/vr [on Anssi Kostiainen - due
   2016-09-01].

   <anssik> [23]https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#sensors

     [23] https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#sensors

Sensor

   Anssi: the implementation team has promised to raise new issues
   very soon now
   ... we should wait to start the wide review

   dom: but then we won't be able to use TPAC for processing
   feedback from such a review

   <anssik> [24]https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/issues/115

     [24] https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/issues/115

   <anssik> [25]https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/issues/110

     [25] https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/issues/110

   Anssi: we received substantive feedback from the TAG
   ... the implementation feedback will be mostly filling gaps of
   undefined behavior

   dom: I think we should start the wide review so that we have
   stuff worth discussing at TPAC

   anssik: for wide review, do we need a new WD?

   dom: it would be better (unless there have been no changes
   since last time)

   <scribe> ACTION: Anssi to prepare new WD of sensors for Wide
   Review [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action03]

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-767 - Prepare new wd of sensors for
   wide review [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2016-09-01].

   <scribe> ACTION: Dom to start wide review of generic sensors &
   ambient light [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action04]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-768 - Start wide review of generic
   sensors & ambient light [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due
   2016-09-01].

   <anssik> [28]https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#sensors

     [28] https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#sensors

   ACTION-768: wide review should mention other generic sensor
   specs [29]https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#sensors

     [29] https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#sensors

   <trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-768 Start wide review of
   generic sensors & ambient light.

Concrete sensors

   Anssi: the various concrete sensors are being implemented
   ... and thanks to the Generic Sensors API, it's fairly
   straightforward to add more sensors on many platforms we have
   ... it's been easy on Android and Windows for instance
   ... our plan is rapidly implement all of those
   ... on Chromium and Chrome-based platforms (e.g. ChromeOS)

   Dom: where do we stand in terms of moving to FPWD?

   Anssi: I would suggest moving to FPWD for the 3 concrete
   sensors fairly soon
   ... the drafts are missing a reference to WebIDL-1

   <anssik>
   [30]https://w3c.github.io/sensors/#index-defined-elsewhere

     [30] https://w3c.github.io/sensors/#index-defined-elsewhere

   Anssi: due to my removal of bikeshed boilerplate in these
   documents

   <scribe> ACTION: Dom to open issues on missing WebIDL ref in
   concrete sensors [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action05]

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-769 - Open issues on missing webidl
   ref in concrete sensors [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due
   2016-09-01].

   <scribe> ACTION: Dom to ask Frederick to start a FPWD call for
   consensus for concrete sensors once WebIDL references have been
   added [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action06]

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-770 - Ask frederick to start a fpwd
   call for consensus for concrete sensors once webidl references
   have been added [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due
   2016-09-01].

WakeLock API

   Andrey: PING teleconf in July raised the question of using wake
   lock as a side channel; also whether it should restricted to
   secure contexts only
   ... a more formal review is under preparation
   ... didn't receive much other feedback from wide review
   otherwise

   <alogvinov_>
   [33]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2016Jul
   Sep/0034.html

     [33]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2016JulSep/0034.html

   <alogvinov_> [34]https://github.com/w3c/ping/pull/1/files

     [34] https://github.com/w3c/ping/pull/1/files

TPAC

   Anssi: we should aim at discussing our open issues during the
   Monday meeting at TPAC
   ... we have 41 open issues that need triaging
   ... some of them might have to closed or moved to v2
   ... Also, I hope we'll have more feedback from implementation
   by then
   ... we could also do demos
   ... I think it will be mostly about generic sensors and perhaps
   some of the concrete instances
   ... it would also be interesting to talk about the geolocation
   wg if they're around
   ... since the geo might be another target for generic sensor,
   the same way as deviceorientation is broken down into
   gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer
   ... in theory, you could polyfill deviceorientation based on
   these 3 drafts
   ... not clear who from geo will be at TPAC
   ... another potential topic is figuring where WoT could benefit
   from this work

   <anssik> [35]https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues/18

     [35] https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues/18

   Anssi: WoT interface with sensors
   ... a separate topic might be v2 (e.g. exposing this in worker
   contexts)
   ... and even beyond ("future work")

   <anssik> Level 1:
   [36]https://github.com/w3c/sensors/milestone/2

     [36] https://github.com/w3c/sensors/milestone/2

   <anssik> Level 2:
   [37]https://github.com/w3c/sensors/milestone/3

     [37] https://github.com/w3c/sensors/milestone/3

   <anssik> Future Work:
   [38]https://github.com/w3c/sensors/milestone/4

     [38] https://github.com/w3c/sensors/milestone/4

   <scribe> ACTION: Anssi to prepare agenda for sensors meeting @
   TPAC - due 2016-09-12 [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action07]

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-771 - Prepare agenda for sensors
   meeting @ tpac [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2016-09-12].

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Anssi to check for new requirements on vibration
   from Gamepad/VR [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Anssi to ping Marcos & Domenic on Battery issue
   #5 [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Anssi to prepare agenda for sensors meeting @
   TPAC - due 2016-09-12 [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Anssi to prepare new WD of sensors for Wide
   Review [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to ask Frederick to start a FPWD call for
   consensus for concrete sensors once WebIDL references have been
   added [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to open issues on missing WebIDL ref in
   concrete sensors [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to start wide review of generic sensors &
   ambient light [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action04]

     [40] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action02
     [41] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action01
     [42] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action07
     [43] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action03
     [44] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action06
     [45] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action05
     [46] http://www.w3.org/2016/08/25-dap-minutes.html#action04

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [47]Minutes from 14 July 2016 are approved,
Received on Thursday, 25 August 2016 15:03:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:08 UTC