Re: Summary of rationale for discontinuing the Web Intents work

On 10/19/2015 05:33 PM, Frederick Hirsch wrote:
> Nick, Mats
>
> At the time we did have a summary of the rationale for discontinuing the WebIntents work, we might want to make it more visible.
>
> The summary is in the following message (and the response regarding resuming below)
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2013Mar/0000.html (21 March 2013)
>
> This was followed by a CfC to shelve:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2013May/0002.html (8 May 2013)
>
> and publication of the WebIntents Note:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2013May/0006.html (23 May 2013)
>
> Later we asked whether to revisit and decided not to:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2014Jul/0000.html (2 July 2014 re revisiting)
>
> I think the two messages cover the rationale. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Frederick.

It explains, but doesn't leave me thrilled.  Basically something that is
of interest to mobile fails because the more complex (tabbed) desktop
browsers can't figure out what to do with it.  Sure, I get that a spec
which only works for some usage scenarios is quite problematic, but it's
also one more weapon for the argument we hear too often which is "why
propose it to W3C, it will either take forever and end up broken or get
lost in politics and never happen. Let's just invent our own and get on
with it."

Not withdrawing my +1, just kvetching.