Re: Reviewing the Charter

Josh

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 12:33 PM, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'm officially joining the Device APIs WG (as an IE).

glad to see you back!

> One of the requirements for joining was that I fill out a survey:
>
>> I ... as W3C Invited Expert,
>> have reviewed the Device APIs Working Group charter [1]
>
>> Milestones
>> 2013Q2 All deliverables have reached Proposed Recommendation.
> hasn't been updated and is clearly stale even though the charter has
> been extended as noted:
>
>> This charter was updated on July 10 2013 to reflect the extension of the charter until December 31 2014 as decided by the W3C Director.
>> This charter was updated on December 17 2014 to reflect the extension of the charter until December 31 2015 as decided by the W3C Director.
>
> In fact, the Milestones section was stale as of that first quoted update.

The charter gets  updated for some pieces (chairs or staff changes, expiration), but not all; in particular, the charter says to refer to the group's home page for updated milestones
(see section 3.3, "Note: The actual production of some of the deliverables may follow a different timeline. The group documents any schedule changes on the group home page.")

Thanks to Dom for reminding me of this.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/2011/07/DeviceAPICharter.html

Please also note that we are currently working on revising the charter before year end, see this message from Dom

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2015Jun/0149.html

There is also a pull request regarding licensing

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2015Jul/0003.html

Thanks for looking at the charter in detail! Your thoughts on the revised charter and potential licensing would be welcome.

Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, W3C Device APIs WG (DAP)

www.fjhirsch.com