[admin] Draft teleconference minutes 15 May 2014

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 12:07:11 -0400
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
To: "APIs WG Device <public-device-apis@w3.org>" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today’s teleconference, 15 May 2014. I scribed. Thanks all for participating.

Next call 29 May.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
@fjhirsch

[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 15 May 2014

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Mats_Wichmann, Cathy_Chan, Anssi_Kostiainen,
Rich_Tibbett

Regrets

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, agenda review, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [HTML Media Capture][8]

    4. [Network Service Discovery][9]

    5. [Testing][10]

    6. [Tracking Preference Expression LC request for comments][11]

    7. [Other business][12]

    8. [Action Item Review][13]

    9. [Adjourn][14]

  * [Summary of Action Items][15]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 15 May 2014

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

### Welcome, agenda review, announcements

fjh: I'll scribe today

Update to 'Network Information API' to shelve - published 10 April

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Apr/0013.html][16]

Implementation Status wiki updated, [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public
/public-device-apis/2014Apr/0003.html][17]

Non-normative editor draft updates to fix test suite links and other minor
updates

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Apr/0035.html][18]

fjh: Media Capture and Streams progressing in TF, likely to go to LC soon so
if interested look at it

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 27 March 2014

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Mar/att-0024/minutes-2014-03-27.html][19]

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 27 March 2014 are approved**

### HTML Media Capture

proposal to change Security & Privacy considerations to non-normative.

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014May/0008.html][20]
(Frederick)

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC to update HTML Media Capture with
proposal for security/privacy consideration, 1 week CfC [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action01][21]]

Minor battery update to make security/privacy section non-normative (done)

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014May/0009.html][22]

### Network Service Discovery

fjh: posted summary of some thoughts about NSD direction
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014May/0021.html][23]

One case is Web & TV, we need detail on the actual use cases and requirements:
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014May/0019.html][24]

Another discussion is pushing content to local network devices as simpler than
pulling, see [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Apr/0027.html][25]

Mark Vickers notes that abstraction is used for window.print and also 2nd
screen cases ( [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Apr/0025.html][26] )

richt: if we find a simpler approach might get away for existing devices and
services

... working on named web sockets, can get bidirectional connections, very
simple

... advertisement and discovery is simple , does not use UPnP

... however we also want UPnP and zeroconf

cathy: agree we need to go back to use cases and define problem

... need to get broader discussion

... yet might want adoption earlier via browser extensions etc

... should consider Jean Claude implementation but possibly premature before
we review use cases

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Apr/2014Apr/0033.html][27]

fjh: did we every reply to Youenn, [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public
/public-device-apis/2014Apr/0022.html][28]

... a reply is warrented

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to reply to Youenn re use cases etc [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action02][29]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-690 - Reply to youenn re use cases etc [on Frederick
Hirsch - due 2014-05-22].

fjh: issues list is all about network service discovery

[http://services.w3.org/xslt?xslfile=http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/issues.xsl&xml
file=http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/open%3fsort=id&recurse_auth=on
&content-type=&submit=transform][30]

fjh: a number of issues such as search by device type might be resolved by use
case reveiw

... one of these is fixed for promises

close ISSUE-158

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-158.

fjh: please all work on documenting and discussing use cases on list

<richt> Original requirements: [http://www.w3.org/TR/hnreq/][31]

richt: we should revisit this as well

### Testing

fjh: following webapps approach to testing

... we need wg volunteers to review and approve pull requests

cathy: ok for me

anssik: ok as well

fjh: how do we, for HTML media capture, close or change the pull request

anssik: can close them or ask submitter to change

fjh: going with the change is best

cathy: dom can do anything, close etc

anssik: web test model not documented but assumes git

fjh: anssik do you have any next steps

ACTION-523?

<trackbot> ACTION-523 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Work on test cases for battery,
vibration, and HTML Media Capture -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/523][32]

for battery google/chromium may want some changes to this spec, so may need to
defer testing

scribe: mozilla has confirmed

... ok with change, need to update test suite, then publish another LC, CR is
2 years old

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to make CfC to update Battery and do another LC per
suggested changes from google [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-
minutes.html#action03][33]]

fjh: do we have a proposal on the list

anssik: we have one, but it is not complete

<anssik> ok to send a CfC for proposed changes to the spec

<anssik> then, land changes to the spec, assuming no concerns

<anssik> pub LC, then another CR + update the test suite

anssik: get more implementer feedback on ambient light, another implementation
will be Chromium

... vibration - we have 2 implementations, chrome/Firefox so could pass
interop now with complete test suite

... need to check test suite for completeness

... html media capture, have 2 implementations, landed in WebKit, not sure
shipping in product , has been in Chrome for a year

<anssik> [https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus][34]

anssik: updated implementation status wiki to reflect on this

<mats> tizen has some form of media capture (webkit based), fwiw

anssik: for battery there is proposed change + need to get Chromium
implementation to complete interop

html media capture - need security/privacy change, have two implementations

ambient light - have one implementation, chromium implementation almost done,
so should have interop completed soon

anssik: firefox implemented device light events, exposing lux value. Light
level event exposes human readable range

... thus only part implemented

... chromium also only implemented device light events

fjh: don't remember who brought that feature in, but does not seem to have
support

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC to remove light level event from ambient
light, return to LC [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-
minutes.html#action04][35]]

anssik: browser vendors prefer to have single interface

... reason for two was to avoid more events

... sending CfC ok now, since that feature is behind a flag and can still work
on interop in parallel

proximity - feature in firefox, chromium intent to implement but not much
progress, concern over use cases

anssik: idea was that you can effectivly obtain proximity using ambient light
API

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to send message to confirm firefox status and plans
to update for vibration [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-
minutes.html#action05][36]]

<Cathy> Thanks anssik for the excellent summary!

<anssik> [http://status.modern.ie/][37]

anssik: IE team is also interested in some of these specs

... ambient light and battery status

... also vibration

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to check with Microsoft DAP members regarding plans
for implementation and interop participation [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action06][38]]

Thanks Anssi for overview and work on testing/interop

cathy: submitted some comment on html media capture pull request

... are you continuing to improve test suite

anssik: should talk to Zhiqiang Zhang

... in github or with direct mail cc'ing list

### Tracking Preference Expression LC request for comments

[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014May/0007.html][39]

fjh: volunteers requested for review of this specification

### Other business

LisaDeLuca_IBM: Web and Mobile Interest Group have been talking about Cordova
alignment

anssik: I looked at gaps, Cordova implemented early versions

LisaDeLuca_IBM: we need specific details of what needs to be changed, then can
expect developers to edit

anssik: can diff WebIDL

... can also start with test suite, to see what fails

fjh: if people want to help should they check out the interest group

lisa: or send email to me

### Action Item Review

open actions

ACTION-523?

<trackbot> ACTION-523 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Work on test cases for battery,
vibration, and HTML Media Capture -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/523][32]

ACTION-682?

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/682][40]

fjh: we discussed on this call, can close

close ACTION-682

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-682.

ACTION-685?

<trackbot> ACTION-685 -- Frederick Hirsch to Review priorities of cordova
alignment -- due 2014-03-27 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/685][41]

fjh: alignment being discussed in Web and Mobile Interest Group

close ACTION-685

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-685.

<scribe> pending actions

close ACTION-683

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-683.

ACTION-683?

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/683][42]

ACTION-686?

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/686][43]

close ACTION-686

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-686.

ACTION-687?

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/687][44]

close ACTION-687

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-687.

ACTION-688?

<trackbot> ACTION-688 -- Frederick Hirsch to Contact implementers re network
service discovery directly -- due 2014-04-03 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/688][45]

close ACTION-688

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-688.

### Adjourn

Next call 29 May, in two weeks

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to check with Microsoft DAP members regarding plans
for implementation and interop participation [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action06][38]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to make CfC to update Battery and do another LC per
suggested changes from google [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-
minutes.html#action03][33]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to reply to Youenn re use cases etc [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action02][29]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC to remove light level event from ambient
light, return to LC [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-
minutes.html#action04][35]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send CfC to update HTML Media Capture with
proposal for security/privacy consideration, 1 week CfC [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action01][21]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to send message to confirm firefox status and plans
to update for vibration [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-
minutes.html#action05][36]]

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][46] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][47])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014May/0011.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #ActionSummary

   [16]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Apr/0013.html

   [17]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Apr/0003.html

   [18]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Apr/0035.html

   [19]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Mar/att-0024/minutes-2014-03-27.html

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014May/0008.html

   [21]: http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-