Re: Standby API Specification Proposal

From: Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:45:13 +0000
To: "Mandyam, Giridhar" <mandyam@quicinc.com>
CC: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, Dariel Marlow <dmarlow@gmail.com>, "<public-device-apis@w3.org>" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi Giri,

On 05 Feb 2014, at 16:22, Mandyam, Giridhar <mandyam@quicinc.com> wrote:

> Anssi, Dom,
> Idle API is among the Phase 2 items for the SysApps Working Group - http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/.  I think this kind of proposal would be better discussed in that WG, since an API will be defined for idle user notification already.

I think the Idle API [1,2] you’re referring to, and the proposed Standby API (functionally close to e.g. Mozilla’s requestWakeLock() [3]) are addressing different needs.

The former is used to monitor when the user is idle, while the latter is used to request the UA to keep a particular resource, such as the screen, available.

That said, I see there is potential for confusion here, given similar names.

Thanks,

-Anssi

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Navigator.addIdleObserver
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Navigator.removeIdleObserver