Re: Standby API Specification Proposal

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:42:47 +0100
To: "Mandyam, Giridhar" <mandyam@quicinc.com>
Cc: "Kostiainen, Anssi" <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>, Dariel Marlow <dmarlow@gmail.com>, "<public-device-apis@w3.org>" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On mer., 2014-02-05 at 14:32 +0000, Mandyam, Giridhar wrote:
> Yes the proposal is different, but the proposal is dependent on the
> underlying platform being able to detect an idle user and offering the
> developer the ability to throttle the standby.  I think it is related
> from that perspective.

Fair enough.

> But that isn't the only reason to shift such a discussion to the
> SysApps WG.  I am not sure at this point this kind of API can be
> offered under the current browser security model - it may be something
> that is more suitable for an installable web application.

I have offered a possible security model for the prevent-standby API in
browsers.
And it seems that the SysApps WG is struggling with defining an
alternative interoperable security model, so it's not clear that SysApps
would necessarily be better placed for it; but before discussing on
"where", I think getting input on whether anyone would implement this is
probably more important.