W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > December 2014

Draft minutes - 2014-12-11 teleconference

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:01:20 -0500
Message-Id: <BB9CD1B1-26A7-4C6F-8EF6-ED2679AB47E2@fjhirsch.com>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today’s DAP teleconference on 2014-12-11. I scribed.

Please note that we cancelled the 8 January teleconference, so our next teleconference is scheduled for 22 January.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Years, Happy Holidays to all and thanks everyone for the productive work during the past year.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP


# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 11 Dec 2014


See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees


    Frederick_Hirsch, Mats_Wichmann, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Giri_Mandyam







## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements][6]

    2. [Battery API][7]

    3. [Vibration API][8]

    4. [Minutes approval][9]

    5. [Generic Sensor API][10]

    6. [Cordova Update][11]

    7. [Charter renewal][12]

    8. [Wake lock API][13]

    9. [Other APIs][14]

    10. [Issues and Actions][15]

    11. [Other Business][16]

    12. [Adjourn][17]

  * [Summary of Action Items][18]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 11 December 2014

### Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Media Capture Task Force CfC "Adopt new W3C process for Media Capture


### Battery API

Battery API CR draft published: [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-

"This Candidate Recommendation is expected to advance to Proposed
Recommendation no earlier than 03 February 2015"

### Vibration API

Vibration API PR draft published: [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-

Comments through 20 January 2015

fjh: will any additional steps be needed to progress to REC if no concerns

dom: no, it should be straightforward

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 13 November 2014 (v2)


**RESOLUTION: Minutes from13 November 2014 are approved**

### Generic Sensor API

follow up - [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

fjh: a number of issues on github for follow up


fjh: follow up needed re Tim Volodine and Boris Smus joining WG?

... presumably they need to initiate request to join

... defer discussion for when we have participants, take to list

### Cordova Update

fjh: Lisa not on call. fjh: defer.

### Charter renewal

fjh: is this just happening

dom: have requested 1 year extension

... we previously discussed rechartering, but with no new work recently,
extensibiiltiy mechanism not needed in short term

... simplest to extend current charter

... prefer to avoid full rechartering unless needed

fjh: is extension approved

dom: director reviews and approved, plan for review and approval next week

fjh: we will get a notice

dom: yes

fjh: expectation for new work?

dom: nothing firm but possibilities

### Wake lock API


see also use cases document [http://w3c-webmob.github.io/wake-lock-use-

gmandyam: what is permissions model

... cannot expose across 3rd parties

dom: model is that by default that all can do, but notification to user that
screen is being locked

... model is ask for forgiveness model

gmandyam: do not like this model

... web sites can dramatically impact power consumption

dom: any app can do this today, via javascript

... timely for you to disagree, but there has been a discussion

gmandyam: not sure we've agreed to bring work into the group

dom: discussed, agreed we do not need to recharter

... if and when we recharter we would add explicitly to charter, but agreed to
interpret charter to include this work item

... if you disagree then we need to know so we can got throught the
rechartering process

gmandyam: we only have one browser committed to this

dom: two

gmandyam: will check on technical concerns regarding power consumption

dom: levels of disagreement: charter, useful for web, specifics of proposal

... need to be clear on which level of disagreement

gmandyam: are we going to progress the work or not, will got with it being in
the charter and having implementer support

... need explicit decision to adopt editors draft

dom: push to FPWD would explicitly resolve decisions about progressing,
considering in charter and enable call for exclusion

gmandyam: no decsions yet

dom: we have decision to get proposal in shape to enable FPWD decision

fjh: notes that FPWD triggers IPR obligations hence concern about scope, so
want to know what will be in FPWD

gmandyam: would like to see dated version

dom: would want CfC for FPWD noting frozen version

fjh: how long a CfC suffices

gmandyam: a month is enough

... no need to revisit charter concerns, so now only concerned about CfC and

fjh: will ask editors if draft in github is FPWD material

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to check with wake lock editors on stability and
suitability for FPWD on wake lock api [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-724 - Check with wake lock editors on stability and
suitability for fpwd on wake lock api [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-12-18].

### Other APIs

Network Service Discovery [http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-discovery-

fjh: any other APIs to discuss?

Network Service Discovery still under discussion, not clear it will be
progressed or not

### Issues and Actions


<trackbot> action-712 -- Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux to Look into chartering
extensibility -- due 2014-12-01 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/712][29]

dom: extending deadline for when extension expires

<gmandyam> ATSC concluded that they would adopt the HbbTV approach to local
network content dist.'n (based on technologies such as DIAL), and the NSD API
is not necessary


<trackbot> ACTION-723 -- Zhiqiang Zhang to Add test for user denial of
captured file leading to no capture -- due 2014-10-09 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/723][30]

dom: for HTML Media Capture which is in CR; need to double check

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to follow up with Zhiquiang re ACTION-723 [recorded
in [http://www.w3.org/2014/12/11-dap-minutes.html#action02][31]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-725 - Follow up with zhiquiang re action-723 [on
Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-12-18].


<trackbot> ACTION-721 -- Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux to Check on call-in access
to tpac plenary day breakout sessions, e.g. web api for health care sensors,
next steps for web of things -- due 2014-10-09 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/721][32]

close ACTION-721

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-721.


<trackbot> action-722 -- Frederick Hirsch to Follow up on inviting bluetooth
cg presentation at breakout -- due 2014-10-09 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/722][33]

close ACTION-722

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-722.

fjh: only one issue that is not network discovery


<trackbot> ISSUE-170 -- light levels are not retrievable until a change causes
the devicelight event to fire. -- open

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/170][34]

ISSUE-170: under discussion as part of generic sensor API discussion,

<trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-170 light levels are not retrievable until a
change causes the devicelight event to fire..

fjh: actually might be better to create new generic sensor api product and
associate, will do that

dom: can expect more involvement in generic sensor api once we have more
concrete proposals

### Other Business

fjh: suggest we cancel 8 Jan teleconference since we won't have much to work
with after the holidays

<dom> +1 on canceling Jan 8

**RESOLUTION: cancel 8 Jan teleconference, next teleconference will be 22

fjh: Merry Christmas, Happy New Years, Happy Holidays to all.

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to check with wake lock editors on stability and
suitability for FPWD on wake lock api [recorded in

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to follow up with Zhiquiang re ACTION-723 [recorded
in [http://www.w3.org/2014/12/11-dap-minutes.html#action02][31]]

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][36] version 1.135 ([CVS

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2014/12/11-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #item12

   [18]: #ActionSummary

   [19]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [21]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [23]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [24]: https://github.com/w3c/sensors

   [25]: http://w3c.github.io/wake-lock/

   [26]: http://w3c-webmob.github.io/wake-lock-use-cases/

   [27]: http://www.w3.org/2014/12/11-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [28]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-discovery-api-20140220/

   [29]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/712

   [30]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/723

   [31]: http://www.w3.org/2014/12/11-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [32]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/721

   [33]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/722

   [34]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/170

   [35]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [36]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [37]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Thursday, 11 December 2014 16:03:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:04 UTC