DAP-ISSUE-149: handling of long vibration list - truncate or no vibration at all [Vibration API]

From: Device APIs Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:52:49 +0000
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
DAP-ISSUE-149: handling of long vibration list - truncate or no vibration at all [Vibration API]

http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/149

Raised by: Frederick Hirsch
On product: Vibration API

raised by Daniel Glazman

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jul/0050.html

comment on 20130723 CR, section 4 #3 and #5

I have a comment about the Vibration API CR:

If I understand them correctly, section 4 items 3 and 5 say that the
requested vibration are entirely dropped in case of overflow beyond
implementation-dependent limits. So let's say an app calls

   navigator.vibrate([50, 100, 150, 100, 150]);

but the device is unable to handle a list of more than 3 values,
the device will not vibrate at all. Why that choice and not a
truncated list? Same thing for the duration of a vibration or silence,
why not a fallback to the implementation limit?
It seems to me that getting absolutely no result based on an
unpredictable device dependency is not something that developers will
like...