Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

27 Feb 2013


See also: IRC log


Frederick_Hirsch, Dzung_Tran, Josh_Soref, Bryan_Sullivan, Diana_Cheng, Giri_Mandyam, Anssi_Kostiainen, Milan_Patel, Clark_Stevens, Rich_Tibbett, Cathy_Chan


<trackbot> Date: 27 February 2013

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

fjh: No announcements

Minutes approval

Draft minutes from 20 February 2013 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Feb/att-0088/minutes-2013-02-20.html

fjh: josh will send out revised version with some minor editorial corrections, removal of bad action requests etc, we can approve next week

F2F Planning & Web Intents / Web Activities

fjh: have spoken with James and Mounir about WebIntents, they plan to work on this later in March with Greg so we will hopefully have more to work with soon
... this timing could work out for a June F2F, giving us some time to work on the list before a F2F
... I think it also makes sense to keep the work in the Task Force, which is DAP and WebApps, for a variety of reasons
... also expect timing is good for June F2F with goal of moving Battery and Vibration to PR and also moving Proximity and Light forward (if not before)
... SysApps WG is having F2F 9-11 April in Madrid so June works for any follow up in DAP if needed
... need to check that Dom is available on dates, doing that now

re-opened ACTION-591 in conjunction with Web Intents work


<trackbot> ACTION-591 -- Greg Billock to work with Mounir and James to create new webintents draft that reflects web activities and issues -- due 2013-03-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/591

<Cathy> Should we set up a questionnaire to fix the June date first?

fjh: Diana can you please ask about holding rooms or another week, so I can check with Dom

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to set up f2f questionnaire [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/27-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-617 - Set up f2f questionnaire [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2013-03-06].

<dcheng3> Yes, will do.

fjh: we need to decide regarding TPAC soonish due to visa etc for China
... might not need a F2F at TPAC depending on status of work

TPAC 2013: Nov 18-22 in Shenzhen - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0095.html

fjh: need to determine cut off date for TPAC decision

Network Service Discovery

plan for updates and then publication of updated WD


richt: plan to work on this now and next week, and then do pubrules so this should take a couple of weeks

<cathy> my comments are on the list


Additional updates, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Feb/0075.html (Anssi)

Test status update, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Feb/0079.html (Anssi)


anssik: modernized specification by getting rid of unnecessary attribute sections from DOM style specs, integrated in prose

<AnssiK> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/rev/80120ce78810

anssik: minor section 5 prose updates to align with HTML5 spec, added navigator terminology
... easier to review to scroll down to the source
... mounir updated tests, I updated IDL harness tests accordingly, thanks to Boris and others, is in good shape, only one failing test case
... that requires WebIDL update
... please review the spec and test suite
... Giri had action to add new test cases

fjh: perhaps you can update status section now as well, I can provide text

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to provide sotd text for battery, vibration status updates [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/27-dap-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-618 - Provide sotd text for battery, vibration status updates [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2013-03-06].

Administrative - meetings

RESOLUTION: Cancel 1 May teleconference

HTML Media Capture

<AnssiK> we should try to close HTML Media Capture LC comments LC-2637, LC-2638, and LC-2639: https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-html-media-capture-20120712/doc/

anssik: remaining comments from Doug

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to follow up with Doug re closing HTML Media Capture LC Comments [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/27-dap-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-619 - Follow up with Doug re closing HTML Media Capture LC Comments [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2013-03-06].

<AnssiK> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17879

fjh: contacted Doug earlier, have waited regarding contacting again since I know he was busy with W3Conf

<AnssiK> the HTML tracker entry has discussion on potentially integrating the capture attribute in the HTML spec

fjh: do not want to create unnecessary dependencies that keep us from progressing work, so we can move this spec forward without preventing adoption at any time

anssik: what is the next step once we close LC comments, should we go to CR or wait for implementations

fjh: call for implementations is appropriate once we are clear on exit criteria

anssik: for testing we will need manual tests which will require working with implementers

fjh: are you working on the test cases

anssik: yes

fjh: we need to be clear on the nature of these tests and careful about defining exit criteria before going to CR

josh_soref: I am working on getting a device to Anssi

anssik: received an email today, thanks much

fjh: who will you be able to work with on testing for HTML Media Capture

anssik: mounir or other person from Mozilla or other WebKit people like Adam Barth

fjh: if you can start on testing as we work toward getting to CR that would help make sure the exit criteria are good

Action Review


<trackbot> ACTION-446 -- Frederick Hirsch to review security issue http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Aug/0006.html -- due 2011-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/446

fjh: not sure this relevant any more, will review to see whether to close


<trackbot> ACTION-474 -- Adrian Bateman to make a proposal for Network Information API -- due 2012-10-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/474

fjh: will check with Adrian

anssik: did he address at F2F

fjh: I think he said there was more to do


<trackbot> ACTION-523 -- Anssi Kostiainen to work on test cases for battery and vibration -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/523

action-523: add HTML Media capture testing to the list

<trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-523 Work on test cases for battery and vibration.


<trackbot> ACTION-565 -- Josh Soref to propose text for HTML Media Capture to allow for alternative capture device if specified device not available -- due 2012-08-22 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/565

fjh: josh is checking on whether this is still relevant

josh_soref: yes


<trackbot> ACTION-613 -- Frederick Hirsch to draft proposed OMA liaison response -- due 2013-02-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/613

fjh: I believe we can close this with no more action given list discussion

close ACTION-613

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-613 Draft proposed OMA liaison response.

fjh: will close pending actions

close ACTION-614

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-614 Check with richt re network service discovery API updates and WD publication.

close ACTION-615

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-615 check with DOM that CR to PR status still ok despite Battery update by member:Mounir.


<trackbot> ACTION-616 -- Frederick Hirsch to send message to Niklas re ACTION-592 then close -- due 2013-02-27 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/616

fjh: Niklas has confirmed this should be closed, no resources to work on this

close ACTION-616

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-616 Send message to Niklas re ACTION-592 then close.



<trackbot> ISSUE-127 -- Status section of Battery CR draft should include exit criteria and at-risk items -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/127

fjh: discussed earlier today, I will provide text to Anssi


<trackbot> ISSUE-128 -- Need more description on how bandwidth should be estimated -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/128

fjh: relevant, is anyone working on this?
... topic for list and future agenda

Other Business

Thanks to everyone for comments on Network Service Discovery

thanks to editors for all the work

no other business noted


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to follow up with Doug re closing HTML Media Capture LC Comments [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/27-dap-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: fjh to provide sotd text for battery, vibration status updates [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/27-dap-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: fjh to set up f2f questionnaire [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/27-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $