Re: Network Information API

On Friday, December 13, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Josh Soref wrote:

> Marcos wrote:
> > This is why allowing applications and OSs to let the user determine what
> > to do over which connection (cellular or wifi) deals with the cases above
>
> > (in the above case, just turn off your Wifi or only allow cellular in
> > some cases).
>

> Not quite. I¹m using WiFi (or cellular) because I need *certain* things to
> use WiFi (or cellular). E.g. I want to send and receive email, and I want
> to be able to receive phone calls/text messages.
>
> An ³all/nothing² switch at the device level really isn¹t correct.

Sure. I don’t think it will be possible to please everyone. I guess it comes down to giving people who need more control more options (at the application or OS level). This is what the OS and application options we’ve looked at clearly shows.

> I¹m still not at the stage of hunting for applications. And am quite happy
> to not investigate them in the near term.

That’s ok. We’ve managed to gather a pretty large set set now:

https://github.com/w3c-webmob/netinfo

Do people think we need more?