Re: Network Information API

Marcros wrote:
>This is why allowing applications and OSs to let the user determine what
>to do over which connection (cellular or wifi) deals with the cases above

>(in the above case, just turn off your Wifi or only allow cellular in
>some cases).

Not quite. Iım using WiFi (or cellular) because I need *certain* things to
use WiFi (or cellular). E.g. I want to send and receive email, and I want
to be able to receive phone calls/text messages.

An ³all/nothing² switch at the device level really isnıt correct.

Itıs possible that an ³all/nothing² or a
³pre-hibernation/casual/tight/nothing² mode per app might be a good hint
for average applications (and really, some applications can do this
already, and more should).

> In most cases and for most apps (as what we can see from just looking at
>any random set of applications) is that most of the time developers and
>users donıt mind/care (the content downloaded is reasonable - like when
>one uses Flipboard or BBC news).

On this, I absolutely agree.

> Itıs only in very particular cases (mostly dealing with large content)
>that one cares about this - and if the user is inclined enough, the
>developer can provide sensible and changeable defaults - or the OS
>provides sensible ways to allow control over d/ling over cellular and/or
>WIFI - again, as is the case with iOS.

In theory, it should impact large content, and streaming content.

>Anything beyond the above is just over complicating and over-engineering
>everything - at least, thatıs what Iım seeing when Iım looking at iOS and
>iOS-based apps (nice, simple options that make sense! - and that only
>deal with ³wifi² or ³cellular² - no other complexity like network type or
>network topologies etc.). Iıd be surprised if we didnıt find the same in
>other OSs, but we are still waiting for people to come forward with
>actual example applications from Android, and other OSs, etc.

Iım still not at the stage of hunting for applications. And am quite happy
to not investigate them in the near term.