Re: [discovery-api] what to put in service name

Hi Jean-Claude,

Jean-Claude Dufourd wrote:
> I am working on a platform that will have one same service running on
> all devices.
> When discovering that service with the NSD API, the applications gets an
> array of NetworkService objects and want to discriminate between all of
> these.
> Because this is on top of UPnP, and UPnP only has serviceID and
> serviceType, in my implementation of the NSD API, I wondered what to put
> in the service "name".
> Now, I believe that the service "name" should contain the name of the
> device, so that the application can discriminate between all the
> services in the array above.

This is the purpose of the NetworkService.id attribute.

> Or should I rely on looking into the hostname part of the "url"
> attribute (I would find this ugly) ?
> Any hint, Rich ? What is your implementation doing ?
> Should the spec be more specific about what is the "name" of the
> NetworkService object ?

The specification currently says to assign the serviceId from the UPnP
Device Descriptor File's service entry as the name attribute [1]. This
is the same as we are currently doing in our prototype implementation [2].

There's a privacy issue here to exposing anything else in the .name
attribute. There are a few other areas that we need to tighten up here
wrt privacy based on feedback we've received so far. I hope to provide
an update on this soon.

Thanks,

Rich

[1]