Re: [capture] HTML Media Capture implementor's feedback

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 11:06:00 -0700
To: Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, "public-device-apis@w3.org public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Ilkka Oksanen <Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com>, ext Adam Barth <abarth@webkit.org>
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Anssi Kostiainen
<anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> On 10.5.2012, at 10.57, ext Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
>> What did they actually implement if they didn't implement the new IDL
>> interfaces?
>
> The capture attribute. I guess Adam meant to say that "we don't have any plans to implement the WebIDL interfaces" other than the following (Adam, correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> [Supplemental] interface HTMLInputElement {
>    attribute DOMString capture;
> };
>
>> We've also implemented capture support for <input type=file> Mobile
>> Firefox (it's available in nightlies), but our support didn't use the
>> DAP spec at all, just plain HTML5 (or HTML4 even if you're just
>> submitting the picture using a <form>).
>
> And now we've got some more implementor's feedback, thanks Jonas! Keep it coming.
>
> Now I'd be especially interested in hearing your feedback re the capture attribute.

What I'm saying is that we've implementation the functionality that
the capture attribute apparently intents to provide, without actually
using the capture attribute.

I.e. on Firefox for Android if you simply put the markup <input
type=file> in a page, the user can choose to use the camera, gallery
application, voice recorder etc, to provide a picture, video or audio
file.

We've observed the same functionality in Chrome for Android.

So my question is, what does webkit do different if the capture
attribute is set to the various values defined by the spec, compared
to if it's not set?

I.e. what have they actually done to "implement the capture attribute"?

/ Jonas