Re: [sensors] Device Proximity (was: Device light and proximity sensor)

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 00:48:00 +0100
To: Tran, Dzung D <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
Cc: Doug Turner <dougt@mozilla.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>

On Wednesday, 9 May 2012 at 23:37, Tran, Dzung D wrote:

> You are leaving it to the OEMs who build the HW device and integrating the OS to determine what is far versus near.

This is correct. I assume they would know best (could be a bad assumption, but seems that it would be in there interest to provide good sensors if they want to have a competitive product). Note that I was also advocating for having both the data and the HW/OS determined far/near.
> Different proximity sensors might have different ranges. You also assuming that the OS will give you this "far" versus "near" value.

This is only an issue if we are seeing crazy variation in ranges… like 50cm to 1meter. I can research this a bit more. I don't imagine there is that much variation in the hardware for the the particular use case (though if anyone has some evidence to the contrary, please present it).

I again would plead that we are clear about the use case. If we get agreement/consensus about what the use case is, then it might make the design of the API more straight forward.

Marcos Caceres