Re: System Level APIs draft proposal

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 17:24:48 +0200
Cc: "public-device-apis@w3.org public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: Deepanshu Gautam <deepanshu.gautam@huawei.com>
On May 2, 2012, at 04:37 , Deepanshu Gautam wrote:
> I wonder what you are referring to by "traditional applications" here?
> I find no reason for *native* (designed explicitly for particular OS and running in installed mode) application to use these APIs.

What I mean by "traditional applications" is apps that are perceived by the user as no different from what they're used to; which is to say that they're somehow installed, they have icons showing up on some form of local launcher, etc. This is distinct from apps that exist inside a browser tab. I'm not sure the distinction is useful, I mostly want to express that these APIs are usable in normal apps just as well as in extensions.

I'm not trying to make a contrast with apps written in Java, ObjC, or things like that. If that were the case, I would have spoken of "legacy applications" ;)