Re: comments of Network Information API

From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:47:24 +0100
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
On 03/18/2012 02:07 PM, 吴静 wrote:
> Hi, all
>
>    I have a comment of network information:
>
>   I Suggest adding the ‘type’ attribute in connection interface.
>
> Mobile devices can connect the network through a variety of methods,
> such as GPRS, Edge, 3Gnet, 3Gwap, LTE, WiMAX, WiFi, Ethernet and USB. We
> should tell the users what kind of data connection is using. It is
> useful to users, especially whose connection is charging according to
> the data flow.

Actually, the type attribute was in the previous version of the
specifications and have been removed on purpose. The reason is that the
type attribute could be used to fingerprint users and also to do bad
assumptions regarding the connection characteristics.

You should be able to find more information about this here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-status/2011Dec/0021.html

Cheers,
--
Mounir