Re: [Sensor API] editor's edits

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Tran, Dzung D <dzung.d.tran@intel.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Here is the list of edits that I am planning:
> - Remove Orientation, Gyro and Compass since these are already covered in Geolocation WG.
> - Remove the "optional" keyword from findSensors(optional DOMString type). This will alleviate concerns about fingerprinting and privacy.
> - Change SensorError to DOMError
> - Many minor editing errors
>
> As for WebIntents for discovery, I will leave that till after the F2F's discussion on how to incorporate this into DAP's APIs.
>
> I would welcome any other suggestions.

Hi Tran,

I think there's a very interesting discussion going on right now with
regards to how often to fire the event.

Doug's assertion is that the sensor is either on or off, and that when
it's on, it doesn't make it use any more batteries to fire the events
as quickly as we can get readings.

If that's the case that's the case then I think we can simplify the
API considerably since we wouldn't need the watch function or multiple
SensorConnection objects.

If that's not the case, then it would be great if someone could step
forward with data challanging Doug's assertion.

But I'm not 100% convinced that the device orientation spec covers the
full range of sensor data. For example you can only get compass
'alpha' information. You can't get full alpha/beta/gamma information
from the compass.

/ Jonas