Re: [html-media-capture] capture vs. accept

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:15:31 -0700
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
> On 7/19/12 6:02 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>I was wondering, how is 'capture' different from 'accept'? It seems to me
>>the
>>following are equivalent:
>>
>>   capture      accept
>>  ----------------------
>>   camera       image/*
>>   camcorder    video/*
>>   microphone   audio/*
>>   filesystem   */*
>
> No. accept="image/*" tells you nothing about the desired capture mode,
> which could be either of camera or filesystem.

So the distinction between the two is that using the 'capture' attribute
indicates that a live capture is preferred?

In that case, I suggest that the 'capture' attribute be a boolean,
leaving the type-checking to the 'accept' attribute, which already
serves this function.

Not only would this avoid duplication, it also avoids conflicts like

   <input capture=microphone accept='image/*'>

~fantasai