Re: Battery API Last Call Comment Status

From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:50:54 +0100
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
On 01/17/2012 10:48 PM, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:
> (4) LC-2577 (Proposal needed), no way to distinguish whether battery present, Wayne
>
> Discussion died down on task force list after general agreement that fingerprinting not an issue
>
> * Is this still an issue? If so, concrete proposal needed

I don't think this is an issue: there is no major need to check if the
device actually has a battery or not.

In addition, fingerprinting *is* an issue. Indeed, we shouldn't block
everything because of fingerprinting: for example, the level attribute
and the charging attribute is helping to track users but it's much more
useful than hurtful. However, knowing if there is actually a battery
seems only useful in the case of a battery UI which is a very specific
use case. We can handle that in another version of the specification or
in another specification (like some Device Capabilities API).

--
Mounir