Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

26 Oct 2011


See also: IRC log


Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, Sakari_Poussa, Jose_Cantera, Clarke_Stevens, SungOk_You, Rich_Tibbett, Cathy_Chan, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Claes_Nilsson, Anders, Isberg, Anssi_Kostiainen
Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch


<trackbot> Date: 26 October 2011

<Clarke> Could I get a minute on the agenda to discuss distribution of the CableLabs discovery implementation?

<scribe> ScribeNick: richt


fjh: Timezone change on the first Monday of TPAC
... May affect people dialling in.
... TPAC agenda is finalized.

<fjh> TPAC final agenda , see http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/

<fjh> Plenary day info http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2011

fjh: Any other announcements?

[no other announcements]


<fjh> Draft agenda - http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_3-4_November_2011,_Santa_Clara_(TPAC)

<fjh> proposal is to have breaks 10-10:30, lunch 12-1, break 3:30-4

<fjh> afternoon break, 3:3:30 might be better on day 1,

<Josh_Soref> i'm going to be a bit late on thursday morning. i have an appointment with santa clara municipality @9am. i should be on site by 9:45 and hopefully on the call by 9:25

fjh: Anything on the agenda that needs adjusting?

darobin: Anything on privacy as a topic?
... Privacy IG going to be around?

fjh: I have an issue to bring up, TAG may have some new update on its privacy work, will look into any additional items.
... Anything else for the F2F?

<fjh> web & tv, API approaches and rationale - http://www.w3.org/wiki/API_Design_Approaches_and_the_Rationales_for_Them


fjh: List discussion. Clarke you want to introduce an implementation?

Clarke: Just wondering how to share an implementation?

fjh: Uploading something is a good approach.

darobin: A link to where the implementation can be retrieved?

<dom> you could also send "it" to www-archive@w3.org

<dom> that will archive it in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/

Clarke: we've implemented a Java Applet to enable discovery + 3 demos to play with.
... It's for demo purposes. Not a production piece of software.
... [discusses individual demos]

Clarke, could you provide more details in the demo link you will provide?

Clarke: One more thing...


Clarke: We've tested this on most browsers and it *usually* works.

darobin: doesn't need to be production-level but really great to have a demo to play with.

Clarke: Will be demoing this during the TPAC Plenary talk.

<fjh> during web and tv session

Vibration API

fjh: Anyone on the call that can speak to that?

AnssiK: We have Mozilla's implementation. Asked Mozilla if they want to contribute their proposal to this WG. Awaiting a reply.
... Wonder if it would be helpful to create a spec based on what Mozilla currently have.
... So is that useful?

<fjh> I think it would be useful

darobin: I think so.

<fjh> ACTION: anssik to produce initial vibration api spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - anssik

AnssiK: OK, I'll make this in to a spec and then we can discuss it further.

<fjh> ACTION: anssi to produce initial vibration api spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-dap-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-458 - Produce initial vibration api spec [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2011-11-02].

<fjh> ACTION-458: Start with Mozilla API proposal

<trackbot> ACTION-458 Produce initial vibration api spec notes added

dom: We should mention this plan to Mozilla and we will discuss on the main Working Group mailing list for now.

fjh: Or send a note to the TF mailing saying it's being discussed on the WG ML.

jcantera: I can provide some input on Vibration from working in this field.

<darobin> ... with Immersion

jcantera: ...at the TPAC F2F.
... Most of the time you can't control the intensity of the vibration.

<darobin> http://immersion.com/

jcantera: Hopefully such implementors feedback will be helpful.

darobin: would be very useful.

I think we should wait for a first draft and then discuss specific restrictions/issues.

Or jcantera and AnssiK work together on producing the first draft?

fjh: AnssiK to produce first draft and then we can discuss further at TPAC and beyond.


fjh: Discussion ongoing on the list.

jcantera: Issues open on the discovery of sensors, connecting to multiple sensors.
... to be discussed at the F2F meeting.
... Will present a prototype implementation of the Sensors API. Implemented in Android using the low-level sensor APIs.
... Will be demonstrating in an app via a WebView.

darobin: will the prototype be available for others to play with?

jcantera: code is being uploaded for the public to use.
... ...in github. link will be provided when that's ready.

Feature Permissions

fjh: we'll defer this since relevant people are not on the call.


fjh: What's the next step?

<Josh_Soref> https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ContactsAPI

<Josh_Soref> mozilla recently reviewed the contacts spec

<Josh_Soref> and decided it didn't like a bunch of things in it

<Josh_Soref> i tried to get them to send feedback to the list

<fjh> richt notes we could go to last call but waiting for feedback from mozilla and still working on test cases

<Josh_Soref> but they aren't

<dom> contacts API test suite

<dom> Josh_Soref has started to re-work on it, hasn't he?

<Josh_Soref> they want better alignment with vcard4

fjh: should we discuss this at the F2F?

<Josh_Soref> yeah, i'm starting to rework it

darobin: hopefully we can discuss directly with a Mozilla rep.

[will discuss further at the F2F]


<Josh_Soref> fwiw, i agree with and was working to make changes which happen to correspond with their vision

AnssiK: Optimistic on progress of this spec.

<darobin> +1 to publishing battery whenever the editor's happy

AnssiK: Have been patching in feedback from Mozilla.

<fjh> This work is progressing well, thanks Anssi. Suggest we publish after TPAC.

AnssiK: Might be good to publish after TPAC.

<dom> it's actually too late for publishing before TPAC

fjh: Let's do a CfC during the TPAC F2F.

<darobin> moratorium ends on 7/11


fjh: Any other topics? Are we done?
... We're done. See you all next week.

[meeting ended]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: anssi to produce initial vibration api spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-dap-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: anssik to produce initial vibration api spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $