Messaging API and URI schemes (ISSUE-107)

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:01:41 +0100
To: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi,

Now that we have managed to published an updated version of the
messaging API, I would like to come back to the point that Rich raised a
couple of weeks ago (and on which I've just raised an issue, ISSUE-107)

There were indeed discussions on how we could make better use of the
existing URI schemes in the messaging API, with two goals:
* making the API better integrated in the Web architecture
* making it easier to integrate new messaging protocols

My thoughts on this:
* relying on URI schemes rather than creating new methods names for each
protocol sounds indeed better

* such an API would essentially look like
        msg = device.message.create("mailto:dom@w3.org", additionalMessageProperties);
        msg.send(successCB, errorCB)

* such an API would probably deserve to get a lot of inspiration from
XMLHttpRequest; I've idly wondered if extending XMLHttpRequest to handle
non-HTTP URIs would be an approach to this — but I'm not sure the
practical gain would be that high; in any case, we should pay attention
to the similarities