Re: Contacts API updates

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Anssi Kostiainen <
anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 14.1.2011, at 21.13, Hirsch Frederick (Nokia-CIC/Boston) wrote:
>
> > Alternatively we might be better off referencing vCard 3.0. (Adding an
> editors note that we might reference vCard 4.0 in the future might be
> helpful)
>
> Referencing vCard 3.0 [RFC2426] and adding a note with a pointer to vCard
> 4.0 Internet-Draft [1] (w/o the -version suffix to always point to the
> latest) would perhaps be the best option for now?

I've removed any dependency on a particular version of vCard and defined the
term 'vCard object' as 'a text-based representation of contact information
provided according to any version within the vCard family of
specifications'. An implementation should be capable of handling all vCard
objects sent its way, regardless of particular version. We can't force any
particular version on a web app developer in any meaningful way anyway.

> Re backward compatibility, the section "10.1. MIME Type Registration" [1]
> says:
>
> [[
>
>      In addition, the following media types are known to have been used
>      to refer to vCard data.  They should be considered deprecated in
>      favor of text/vcard.
>
>      *  text/directory
>
>      *  text/directory; profile=vcard
>
>      *  text/x-vcard
>
> ]]

Added 'text/vcard' to the list of valid media types.

Thanks,

Rich

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev