Re: Rechartering Device APIs & Policy Working Group

From: Paddy Byers <paddy@aplixcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:16:41 +0000
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Cc: "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>, "Isberg, Anders" <Anders.Isberg@sonyericsson.com>, "Nord, Christian" <Christian.Nord@sonyericsson.com>, "Svensson, Magnus" <Magnus.Svensson@sonyericsson.com>
Robin,

In BONDI (1.5, which never really become public) we formulated a generic
sensor API, which dealt in a generic way with discovering available sensors
of arbitrary type with sensor-specific description of capabilities, defining
sensor-specific value types, reading sensor values, watching sensor values
with a generic way to specify triggers or thresholds, etc. This seemed to be
the minimum that you would want from a generic API. There was no way in the
API to "configure" a sensor, but you could get a "parameterised" instance
(ie specify some parameters when you get the sensor instance) and specify
thresholds when watching for sensor changes.

If it is of interest to the group I can dust it off and circulate it.

Thanks - Paddy