Getting browser vendors involved prior to basing work on their products/ideas

From: Bryan Sullivan <blsaws@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:10:45 -0700
To: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
In the call today during the discussion of the Web Introducer draft (
http://web-send.org/introducer/), I made the following points that it might
be useful to have email list discussion on.

In the rechartering we are trying to create an environment attractive to
participation of the browser vendors, both in API scope/design and in
security/privacy approaches. We are making a good faith effort to address
their concerns. Hopefully actions are taking place in the W3C background to
promote participation of the browser vendors, as a result.

However basing DAP APIs on APIs of non-members is problematic. This goes for
Web Introducer and Sensors as well.

At this point there is an available API draft for sensors (
http://bondi.omtp.org/1.5/PWD-2/sensor.htm) which is RF (as part of the
BONDI project).

I would like to consider the Google APIs as baselines but we need Google's
involvement in the group to move forward on that, IMO.

For sensors, hopefully in the meantime we can find some neutral approach to
begin drafting an API.

Bryan | AT&T