Re: Updated draft charter

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:51:47 +0100
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com, "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 15:59 +0200, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> > (3) Is "An API to discover nearby devices and services" too broad and
> > underspecified? One of the goals of rechartering was to narrow the
> > scope if I'm not mistaken.
>
> It's probably too broad, indeed; I'm hoping someone can help refining it
> into something more specific. Claes maybe? Dave?

The term "nearby" is probably too broad as we are not thinking about it
in the sense of geolocation, but rather for devices and services exposed
by the same device, or devices connected to it on the local area
network, or directly connected through USB and Bluetooth. If you think
it would help we could cite mDNS, SSDP and SLP as examples of discovery
techniques that could be exposed. Note that devices on the local area
network are only discoverable if they are so configured. If you don't
want others to discover your device or service, don't advertise it!