Re: Updated draft charter

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:59:46 +0200
To: Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com, "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonyericsson.com>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
Le mercredi 06 avril 2011 à 13:33 +0000, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com a
écrit :
> (1) Didn't we also agree to add the following to the charter?
>
> W3C Note for  Privacy Use Cases and Requirements
> Audio Volume  Reader API - API to determine current audio volume setting (but not to control it)

Thanks for the reminder, I've added them to the draft.

> (2) Should we be more specific and change "An API to react to a device
> power status" to  "Battery Status Event Specification"  or did you
> have a broader scope in mind?

I think "Battery Status Event" is the current working title of the spec
that would address this, but I'm not sure if it set in stone yet, and I
think it's slightly less clear than my proposed description; but if you
feel that my description broadens the scope of the work, I can rework
it.

> (3) Is "An API to discover nearby devices and services" too broad and
> underspecified? One of the goals of rechartering was to narrow the
> scope if I'm not mistaken.

It's probably too broad, indeed; I'm hoping someone can help refining it
into something more specific. Claes maybe? Dave?

> (4) Is "An “intent”-based mechanism to trigger the launch of
> applications" the item that could include "Web Introducer" if such
> work were to be in the charter? I'm confused because I thought the Web
> Intents work was being superseded by Web Introducer. I'm not sure this
> can be included in the charter without appropriate WG membership, but
> first need to understand what this  item means, perhaps calling it an
> introduction mechanism would be clearer.

Yes, my message called specifically upon Claes to get a more
specific/clearer wording. The idea is indeed to cover what "Web
introducer" is about.

> (5) We discussed adding "Privacy Mechanism for Device APIs" with a
> note that this might move to another WG..

I've added it, but I think it would be useful if you could provide a
one-liner description?

> (6) Did we agree to  change System Information into a set of discrete
> identified deliverables? How does "A API to retrieve data generically
> from sensors"  fit with that? It seems like the original broad System
> Information (also change "A" to "An" here).

As far as I can tell, we agreed at the last F2F that Sysinfo would be
split into discrete identified deliverables.

The API to retrieve data generically from sensors is still something
with ongoing discussions on the list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Apr/0000.html

It is indeed fairly broad in its current description (but less broad
than sysinfo which also included device characteristics). I'm hoping the
conversation will converge toward something we can better integrate in
the charter.