Re: Network interface (was: Draft minutes 2010-09-15)

Le lundi 20 septembre 2010 à 21:57 -0700, James Salsman a écrit :
> >> 1. Able to send IP packets (as a bandwidth)
> >> 2. Able to receive IP packets (as a bandwidth)
> >
> > Isn't that the same as maxDownloadBandwith and maxUploadBandwith?
>
> In practice measurements are usually a fraction of the stated maximum.

Right, but there is also currentDownloadBandwidth and
currentUploadBandwidth; I was referring to max as a way to determine
whether the device is able to send/receive packets at all (where a value
of 0 would indicate it can't).

> >> 3. Round-trip-time statistics
> >> 4. End-to-end delivery compatibility (e.g., NAT-free)
> >> 5. Network neutrality (e.g., conforming to IANA/ICANN DNS authorities
> >> without address translation)
> >> 6. Secure-compatibility (e.g., able to send HTTPS traffic without overhead)
> >> 7. Expectation of privacy (e.g. via carriers with satisfactory privacy
> >> policies and without a history of eavesdropping)
> >> 8. Cost per bit
> >
> > Do you know of any existing network API that allows to access this type
> > of information?
>
> Not all of it, but many Unix-derived APIs provide system calls and
> tools to measure 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Specific references would be useful to see from where we would be
starting; I'm still not convinced these are useful is sufficiently many
contexts to deserve to be added to SysInfo at this stage.

> 7 and 8 are measured by consumers and influence decisions in selecting
> equipment and service providers.

While this information is indeed used by some consumers for making
buying decisions, most consumers don't even try to make these measures
themselves. I really doubt that's something needed urgently for the Web
platform.

Dom