PendingOperation (was Re: CfC: The Media Capture API FPWD)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:05:17 +0100
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
To: Philip Gladstone <pgladstone@cisco.com>
On Sep 3, 2010, at 15:45 , Philip Gladstone wrote:
> * Is the cancel on the PendingOperation synchronous? I.e. once that
> method returns, has the PendingOperation been cancelled, or is it only
> canceled when (for example) the errorCB is called with a 'CANCELED'
> error status. If an image capture is cancelled once the user has
> captured one image, is that image lost, or does it get returned on a
> successCB? If it is lost, does it remain in persistent storage?

We need to better define PendingOperation across all our specs that use it. The first thing to note is that actually cancelling the device operation can only be a SHOULD  in some cases it can't be done without the UA being able to do much about it. What's important is that we make sure that the code behaviour is consistent and works for authors.

The second part is that we should define callback operations in terms of event loops, tasks, and task queues so as to ensure their interoperability (and integration). For more detail, see:

  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/webappapis.html#event-loops

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko  hired gun, higher standards