TZDate (formerly TimezonedDate) F2F notes

From: Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:01:50 +0100
To: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Here are the notes I took when we discussed TZDate (formerly
TimezonedDate) at the F2F.

We decided that rather than build on the standard ECMA Date object (and
then acquire some complex stringification changes) we should find an
alternate solution.

Thanks, Robin, for taking on this specification.

- Rich

*************************

What might be the least painful change for a workable TZDate proposal
without building on the ECMA Date object:

[
   Constructor(int year, int month, int day, int? hours, int? minutes,
int? seconds, int? tz),
   Constructor(Date utcDate, DOMString? tz) // construct object from the
*UTC* DOMString of the passed Date object
]
interface TZDate {
     attribute int year;
     attribute int month;
     attribute int day;
     attribute int? hours;
     attribute int? minutes;
     attribute int? seconds;

     attribute DOMString? tz; // designated timezone (if left blank then
                              // time is 'floating')

     getter Date toDate(); // produces a *local* Date object accounting
                           // for (designated timezone ± local offset).

     DOMString toString(); // stringifies the current object to ISO-8601.
                           // i.e.: YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss±hh:mm
};