RE: Messaging API status and next steps

+1

Suresh

From: public-device-apis-request@w3.org [mailto:public-device-apis-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Sullivan
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:06 AM
To: Rich Tibbett; María Ángeles Oteo
Cc: W3C DAP
Subject: Re: Messaging API status and next steps

Rich,
If we are to take the approach that anything which can be done by a web service should be out of scope for DAP, we would have little to do. This would include (things that can be done via a web service):

*	pim (contacts, calendar, tasks)
*	messaging
*	gallery

Essentially anything that is not clearly stored on the local device or information that only the device knows (e.g. Status) could be supported by a web service.

To be sure, I do not recommend that we go that far. So for message sending, the ability to use the locally-available content and service invocation capabilities related to specific services such as messaging, are still important to define as APIs even if we do have already have useful/usable methods such as URI schemes and web services.

Bryan | AT&T