Re: ACTION-119: on how to define the availability of properties

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:33:42 +0100
To: Max Froumentin <maxfro@opera.com>
Cc: "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
> Option 1 is
> + easier to define (only needs 1 interface)
> + allows more than one device to be active (not sure if that's useful)

FWIW, option 2 can be made to support more than one device as well by
making the property an array rather than a scalar.

> - makes it harder for the webapp writer to access the active device
> + lets you watch the active-ness of a specific device
>
> What do people think?

The first pro is only making our life easier, so I think it needs to be
considered very last; I don't think the second one really distinguishes
the two proposals; I'm not very convinced that there are large use cases
for watching activeness of a specific device; as a result, my feeling is
that option 2 is probably better.

Another option would be to add "available" (or "active") as a parameter
in the system.get() call, probably with a specialized Options interface
for those of the relevant properties that can be active or not.