Re: Calendaring I18N

From: Felix Sasaki <felix.sasaki@fh-potsdam.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:19:56 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Cc: public-i18n-core@w3.org, public-device-apis@w3.org
Hello Robin,

2010/3/23 Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>

> Dear I18N WG,
> as part of its work, the DAP WG is creating a Calendar API that is intended
> to be used by Web applications in order to interact with calendar data. The
> current editors' draft can be found at
> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/calendar/.
> Our first instinct was to turn to iCalendar (RFC 5545) and other related
> specifications in order to rely on tried and true practice in the field.
> However, in the process of applying that information to our work it surfaced
> that no existing standard that we have come across to date seems to capture
> information relating to non-Gregorian calendars.
> As you know likely better than we do, non-Gregorian calendars are in common
> use throughout much of the world, and as far as we know it is always
> possible to convert between them and Gregorian dates  which makes the
> latter fine for internal storage. However, capturing the calendaring system
> intended by the user when entering the date is important as it may convey
> important semantics and will have impacts on recurrence if for instance the
> specified non-Gregorian date does not map to the same Gregorian day each
> year.
> Our current plan is to store dates as Gregorian, and use an additional
> field to capture the user-intended calendar. The points on which we would
> like to solicit your help are:
>  1) Is this a good and sane approach that will work?
>  2) Is there a list of calendars that we could use to provide a definitive
> list of calendar names that implementations would be expected to recognise?

You might get some additional data about this point from CLDR
which is defined using LDML

If you download http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/1.8.0/core.zip , the
common/main directory contains the data for many locals, using several
calendar names for each locale. The bcp47 directory contains a calendar.xml
file, which has a very short list of calendar names. I am not an expert in
CLDR -  "Mark Davis" <mark@macchiato.com> can tell you whether this is the
right data.