RE: CfC: Messaging FPWD

Hi all,
While I can add filters as proposed, I'm not quiet sure how useful they
really are to developers. Some considerations:

1) App listening for very specific message content (e.g. A widget that
only pops up all messages sent to "public-device-apis@w3.org"). Just
looking at the list as of this moment, this would not catch all messages
on the list (some have "public-device-apis@w3.org" in "to", some in
"cc"). Then we need to add more specific matching rules which tends to
become ugly pretty quickly (doable, but adds complexity). Actually, more
often I'd probably be more interested in using filters to avoid some
messages (e.g. don't bother me with mailing list events).

2) General messaging app where I want to display new messages according
to some set of rules (e.g. Only messages sent from my list of friends
("from: Abe", "to: Bob", "to: Charlie", "to: myself" ). In this case the
developer will probably be interested in the sum of all filters, not
having three subscribe events (two for "to", and one for "from"). Again,
solvable, but quickly becomes quite complex in the general case.

3) Finally, in comparison with e.g. Filters for searching contacts or
calendar data, I'd expect to message subscription filters to have a much
longer life time, and probably even stay around next time I use the app.

In the end, yes we can add filters, but to make it really useful we'd
probably need make it complicated enough so that writing a specialized
filter in the app itself is no longer an overwhelming task.

(But maybe it's not writing the filter that is the problem, but the
arrival of a lot of unwanted subscription events to the app?)

Best regards,
Niklas