Re: Contacts API and storage awareness (Re: ACTION-54)

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:28:29 +0000
To: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>
Cc: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On 3 March 2010 14:19, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) <BS3131@att.com> wrote:
> Putting this at the OS/browser level means that the webapp can't be sure of the actual handling in any specific device. Thus when Bob or Alice switch devices, they have to go through a process of configuration checking, and it's possible that the other device won't support such an underlying control. Having this info visible and controllable by the webapp means that no matter what device they use, the same user experience is achievable since this is only dependent upon the webapp user preferences.

In my personal opinion I think it is less likely that a webapp will
get it "right" than some implementation at the OS/browser level. Also
I wouldn't bother too much with the device switching argument, which
usually only happens every 18 months or so. If contacts should be
stored in a device-independent way, then some online addressbook would
be the right choice imho.

Cheers,
Anselm