Re: Contacts API and storage awareness (Re: ACTION-54)

From: Paddy Byers <paddy.byers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:09:11 +0000
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Cc: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi,

It's still not clear to me why this is something the WebApp itself needs
> to know; I can imagine this kind of preferences being set in the browser
> or at the OS level; I still don't know why each individual app would
> need to deal with that aspect.

One possible reason is that the SIM contacts database and the phone contacts
database support different schemas. The SIM contacts are able only to hold a
name string, with limited length, and a number string. The web app may wish
to take account if this when populating contacts records.

Paddy