Contacts API and storage awareness (Re: ACTION-54)

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:14:57 +0100
To: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>
Cc: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi Bryan,

Le mardi 02 mars 2010 à 21:45 -0800, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) a
écrit :
> Provide use cases where contacts API needs to be aware of source of
> contacts:
>
> Two basic use cases are:
>
> 1) Bob wants to keep contacts on his SIM only. Thus the webapp that uses or updates Bob's contacts
> needs to know where the contacts are coming from, and where they will be
> written to.
>
> 2) Alice wants to keep contacts on her device only. Thus the webapp that updates Alice's contacts needs to know
> where the contacts will be written to.

It's still not clear to me why this is something the WebApp itself needs
to know; I can imagine this kind of preferences being set in the browser
or at the OS level; I still don't know why each individual app would
need to deal with that aspect.