Re: JavaScript Permissions interface in WebApps

From: Doug Turner <dougt@dougt.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:11:38 -0700
Cc: <robin@robineko.com>, <dom@w3.org>, <public-device-apis@w3.org>, <johnnyg@google.com>
To: <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>

> http://escholarship.org/uc/item/0rp834wf

I am familiar with the paper.  I'd still urge you to go read the f2f comments.  Much of this UC paper is the same arguments that the GeoPriv/CDT people made.

> I understand there are pragmatic concerns - yet can we do more to find a good balance? supporting rulesets may be a possibility  - we'll have to talk about it at the workshop

From a personal pov, there isn't any balance to be found at the API level.  I do not want to build or design an API that embeds policy information in it.  From a developers pov, i have never seen such an API nor would want to use one.

Sorry that I will not be at the workshop (and somewhat happy since this specific topic was talked to death at the Geolocation WG two Decembers ago).  I do urge this WG to consider the statements made in the other WG.  I worry that whatever is spec'ed out here will not be implemented by the majority of user agents (browsers).

I hope this helps,

Doug Turner