Re: Updates to File API

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:57:08 -0700
To: Eric Uhrhane <ericu@google.com>
CC: Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On 6/2/10 3:48 PM, Eric Uhrhane wrote:
> Sure, why not?  Why would this be limited to File objects?
>
> A File is supposed to refer to an actual file on the local hard drive.
>   A Blob is a big bunch of data that you might want to do something
> with.  There's nothing special about a File when it comes to what
> you're doing with the data.
>
> Just as we moved File.url up to Blob, I think File.readAsDataURL
> belongs there too.

Fair enough; I'm amenable to moving it.  So specifically, you're okay
with a DataURL on a Blob?  It might not be anything useful; with a File,
you at least have the possibility of a whole unsliced image file.  Could
you give me a use case where this is really useful for Blob objects?

Also, above you probably mean specifying that readAsDataURL (a method on
FileReader) works on Blob objects, not "File.readAsDataURL" ;-)

-- A*