Re: HTML Media Capture draft from Device APIs and Policy Working Group

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:02:38 +0200
To: "Andrei Popescu" <andreip@google.com>
Cc: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:47:48 +0200, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
wrote:
> Sure, I think we all agree that the file control needs improvement.
> That's why Mozilla is thinking of rendering two buttons instead of
> one, we will continue with one button and a new file picker that lets
> users access camera, microphone, etc,. Out of curiosity, what will
> Opera do?

As far as I know we do not have concrete plans just yet though we have in
the past replaced the file picker with a camera button in the Opera Mini
browser.

> Are you thinking that some of the UI experimentation will lead to the
> conclusion that letting the Web page hide some of the input sources is
> not really needed so 'capture' won't be needed, either? Maybe that
> will be the outcome at some point in the future, hard to say.

Indeed it is hard to say, which is why I personally rather wait than add
features.

> However, it's not the case with any of the file picker improvements
> that have been discussed so far and they could all benefit from having
> this feature.

Yeah; I suppose we can always obsolete it once we find that improvement.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/