Re: HTML Media Capture draft from Device APIs and Policy Working Group

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:08:58 +0200, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems better to me to start out simple first.
>>
>> Ok, but is 'capture' that complex / complicated? It seems to me very
>> easy to implement and use.
>
> It's not necessarily complex or complicated. It is just less simple than
> making the file control better, which would already be a huge improvement
> over what we have today.

Sure, I think we all agree that the file control needs improvement.
That's why Mozilla is thinking of rendering two buttons instead of
one, we will continue with one button and a new file picker that lets
users access camera, microphone, etc,. Out of curiosity, what will
Opera do?

>>> Like Jonas I'm not too
>>> convinced the capture parameter is really justified.
>>
>> I see. What would it take to convince you? We have a real world
>> application presenting a pretty reasonable use case for it.
>
> Yeah, I suppose. I just wish we would do these things in smaller more
> incremental steps. Up to this point very little UI experimentation has been
> done with the file control. I think it would be nice if that experimentation
> settled first before we start thinking about how to control the particulars.

Are you thinking that some of the UI experimentation will lead to the
conclusion that letting the Web page hide some of the input sources is
not really needed so 'capture' won't be needed, either? Maybe that
will be the outcome at some point in the future, hard to say.
However, it's not the case with any of the file picker improvements
that have been discussed so far and they could all benefit from having
this feature.

Andrei