ISSUE-70 (usecases-in-spec): Should we have use-cases in specifications [APIs — General]

From: Device APIs and Policy Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:42:36 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-device-apis@w3.org

ISSUE-70 (usecases-in-spec): Should we have use-cases in specifications [APIs — General]

http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/70

Raised by: Max Froumentin
On product: APIs — General

Should specifications have a use-case section? Or should the decision be made on a case-by-case basis?

Max's claim: Use-cases (and requirements) are helps, meant for writing the specification itself, but not part of the specification. Examples are ok, as they help the implementer get a quick overview of a specific API, but use-cases are just as well replaced by more generic wording saying "this specification enables webapps to do XXX, YYY and ZZZ".