Re: Why aren't most devices virtual web services?

ext Kenton Varda wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Doug Turner <w3c@dougt.org
> <mailto:w3c@dougt.org>> wrote:
>
>     Another benefit, although a implementation detail and I am somewhat
>     skeptical if it will happen, is that it would allow 3rd parties to
>     add in new devices without having to know much about the internal
>     browser guts.  The work of implementing device apis could move out
>     of the browser space and could be provided by and supported by
>     operating system vendors.
>

> I agree, this is a *huge* benefit, and one I personally intend to take
> advantage of if available (for a personal project involving home
> automation).  It's vastly easier to understand how to write a local web
> server than how to hack your web browser.

In some cases one option to implement pure JS based device APIs is to
build new browser plug-ins. Hacking of browser core is not therefore
always mandatory. There might be still differences in complexity of
writing plug-ins and web services but I think they are smaller.

        -ilkka