Re: Why aren't most devices virtual web services?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:13:19 +0000 (UTC)
To: Kenton Varda <kenton@google.com>
Cc: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Kenton Varda wrote:

> > I like this idea. It would mean, for instance, that Web-based contacts
> > services (e.g. Facebook) could plug into the same API that the local
> > contacts database uses. Similarly, sites could use a common Calendar
> > API and the user could decide if it should use the system calendar, or
> > some Web-based calendar.
>
> Yep, this is exactly what I was trying to suggest a couple weeks ago,
> though I may have presented it poorly.  I was arguing that web sites
> should have the ability to expose virtual devices as web services.  I
> should have clarified that the way I imagined doing this is by making
> devices look like web services -- not by inventing a new standard for
> web services to implement things that look like local devices.
>
> If we do it this way, then your <device> element would presumably be
> able to do exactly what I was asking for before:  allow you to "hook up"
> web sites by filling in a <device> on one page with a non-local web
> service rather than a physical device.

I don't know that it makes much sense for cameras or microphones; I think
it's more something that would be suitable for contact lists, calendars,
and the like.

For cameras, if we wanted to allow people to use Web-provided streams as
their outgoing streams, I think we could do that significantly more easily
just by using a URL scheme to represent online streams. No need for an
entire REST API to be defined for that.