RE: Camera properties (Re: [sysinfo] draft ready for review)

I think the majority of devices are going to be mobile, but who's to say that a decent camera isn't going to contain a 3G module in the future? I think the question is really whether we want to push this back to version 2.0 or not - at the moment, 99% of devices using this will be your average mobile phone cameras (and we're talking multi-millions of devices).

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: public-device-apis-request@w3.org [mailto:public-device-apis-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Max Froumentin
Sent: 06 January 2010 11:19
To: Thomas Roessler
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
Subject: Re: Camera properties (Re: [sysinfo] draft ready for review)

On 05/01/2010 17:53, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> The camera API looks like it's focused on a really cheap camera.  I
> wonder whether we want to go down the route of describing things
> like
>
> - aperture - shutter - sensor dimension (both physical and pixel) -
> ISO speed - focal length - camera orientation - flash on or off for
> the next capture?

Fair enough. After the discussion at [1] I didn't think much more about
what to put in there, and what to leave to the Capture API. The current
list (supportsVideo, hasFlash, sensorPixels, maxZoomFactor) contains
properties which are fixed, while I think that variable attributes
(zoom, aperture, ISO, etc.) should go to Capture. But it's a very fine
line, and the question is noted in an issue in the draft, awaiting
proposals.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Dec/0192.html

Max.