RE: [Powerbox] latest draft (was: Agenda - Distributed Meeting 2010-02-24)

On Feb 24, 2010 at 13:49, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> Le mardi 23 février 2010 à 15:56 -0800, Tyler Close a écrit :
> > Since the WG will be discussing the Powerbox draft, I'm
> attaching the
> > latest version that reflects feedback received to date.
> Hopefully this
> > will help clarify futher discussion. The mechanism itself
> has not been
> > altered, but there is more explanatory text.
>
> To help (hopefully) understanding what the proposal is about,
> I've quickly drawn the two main operations that are described
> in the PowerBox proposal (provider registration and resource
> provision), attached as images to this message.
>
> (I'm afraid the second diagram isn't that readable; I guess
> I'm hoping that at least highlight the distinctions between
> the two steps is
> useful)
>
> Dom

This model lends itself quite well to producing OpenSearch-style API Providers.

http://www.opensearch.org/Specifications/OpenSearch/1.1

As you may know, OpenSearch is used to describe search engines for import to the browser's chrome (the search box) in IE, Firefox and Safari which is quite a similar case to what is proposed.

On a side note, OpenSearch does not advertise providers because two OpenSearch documents can point to the same resources. Each OpenSearch document is unique and different sites advertising the same Providers could lead to duplicates in the browser's search bar. So perhaps we don't want to advertise providers in the same way as RSS. Just a thought.

Would it be interesting to explore this approach seperately from the Powerbox proposal?

Kind Regards,

Richard

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.