Re: Review: browser use case; e-mail compatibility? (Re: Message API Status)

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:40:00 +0200
Cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, "Robin Berjon" <robin@robineko.com>, María Ángeles Oteo <maoteo@novanotio.es>, <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>, <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: Suresh Chitturi <schitturi@rim.com>
On 18 Aug 2010, at 16:09, Suresh Chitturi wrote:

> Robin, all,
>
> I would be generally cautious with this approach with different flavors of email implementations. Here are a couple of (broad) initial concerns:
>
> - Binding the API to a specific RFC will cause implementations to translate the headers to their own implementation

> - Will require developers to do all the formatting to the according to the RFC (besides typed approach is preferred in a API over a typed approach)

I don't understand what this means.  RFC 5822 is the current standard for e-mail.

The choice I suggested was to model things in terms of that standard.

Robin suggested to use plain strings and leave parsing of e-mail headers to Web Applications. I think that that's probably a bad idea -- I'd be happy if implementations of the API got this right, and I'm nervous about web applications doing so.